Friday 9 August 2013

Top 5 Embarrassing Clinical Moments

It is Friday, and we thought it would be a good idea to keep up the Friday Top 5s.

Except this week it is at our expense.

So it would be great if every clinical encounter with a patient went smoothly. Unfortunately it does not always work that way. Maybe it is the lack of sleep, or possibly the mind-boggling amounts of information we have to know, but some visits just get a little awkward.  Here are a few of our embarrassing patient encounters…

5) While getting frustrated with a computer that did not seem to be working, my 70 year old patient suggested it may work better if I turn it on.

4) In the midst of a pap test, I asked the woman if she had ever been told where her cervix was hiding.

3) While performing an abdominal exam on an attractive male patient he asked if I was blushing, I subsequently turned beet red, tried to laugh it off, and then snorted.

2) Instead of asking my preceptor where the lubricant was prior to performing a DRE (digital rectal exam), I asked him for KY Jelly.

1) In medical school I misheard an elderly 90 year old patient with a strong accent. I thought he was saying he was worried about 'his orgasms' instead of 'his organs.' I subsequently started taking a sexual history, until I was stopped by the doctor observing me when he realized my mistake. Least to say it was a good lesson - always clarify your patient's concerns. 

Have a good weekend everyone!

Let us know your embarrassing clinical experiences - share them below.

No comments :

Post a Comment