Monday 29 July 2013

Caribbean Med School say whaaaa???

YES, I go to a caribbean med school, St. George's University in Grenada, to be exact. I get a lot of questions and statements about it, for example the standard would be: what is it like to go there? Must be nice to be on a beach all day. Do you actually do work? How do you feel about it? To answer all of the prior with a few simple words- If I had to do it over, I wouldn't change at thing. I've met life long friends from all over and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I like to describe it as "med school camp". You're surrounded by the same people within a very small radius, while all pursing the same goals. Yes, at times you feel like you're trapped on an island, because you literally are, but I think the experiences I've had have helped me develop skills that will further help me in my career. 

From day one, St. George's University makes you aware of hard work that is ahead of you; the curriculum immediately begins to direct you towards the next major step in your medical career, the USMLE board exams. SGU teaches you that your classmates are not your competition, but could possibly be your future colleagues, who should be used as an additional resource, helping one another out along the way.  From my experience, the closeness in space with your friends, all with the same goals, has taught me the importance building a dynamic relationship of friendship/colleague- to push each other along the way, emotionally support each other and to help everyone work to their utmost potential. A value cannot be placed on having close friends to ask a question, quiz each other, and to talk concepts out when you're too tired to read anymore. 

In summary, no, I don't go to the beach everyday. Yes, it is hard work. Yes, it can be emotionally draining at times. Would I change it if I had to do it over again? Not a chance. 

-Carling

No comments :

Post a Comment